This is one of the most pleasurable activities which can become addictive! Here are some guidelines:
- Only collect small amounts. If you want larger quantities,
grow on additional plants to supply the additional seed.
- Ask permission from landowners if you are collecting
from private land.
- Beware of the hedge trimmer if you are collecting from
roadside verges. It tends to arrive the day before you do!
- If you are not sure which species you require, use one of our
seed mixes as a guide. The percentage of each species in
the seed mix will also be a useful in helping you to calculate
the proportions of each species.
- Be careful to mark the area where you are going to collect seed. When the plants are not in flower, they can disappear!
- After you have dried the seed, sieve out any dust or larger
material such as husk, all of which can hide hungry insects.
- Aim to sow the seed the same year if possible.